Building Automation Engineer
Posted on: June 19, 2022
This role will serve as primary lead for all aspects of Building
Automation design, installation, commissioning, qualification, and
validation projects, in addition to, daily operation, in-field
troubleshooting, hands-on repair and maintenance of these systems
and components. This position will also be responsible for system
ownership and administration responsibilities for facilities-based
monitoring systems, site wide 24/7 alarm system, energy monitoring
system, and environmental condition monitoring system. The ideal
candidate will also possess PLC experience and technical skills
associated with integration with building automation systems and
- Lead and drive the development of building automation and
controls specifications and standards for equipment,
instrumentation, materials, sequence of operations, calibration,
and design. Identify root cause of failures and implement quality
long term solutions.
- Serve as the Building Automation System Administrator ensuring
system operation, control, maintenance, and GMP compliance. Manage
system access and permissions ensuring currency and appropriateness
for all users and groups.
- Serve as the site subject matter expert (SME) on Building
Automation Systems operation, equipment, design standards and
technology to meet evolving pharmaceutical industry standards.
- Identify and implement operational changes or equipment
modifications to lower energy consumption through the monitoring of
equipment performance and sequences of operations. Identify and
garner utility rebate opportunities to help defray the cost of
equipment or operational improvements.
- Take appropriate actions to diagnose and correct plant
equipment engineering, operating and maintenance issues as they
occur in partnership with maintenance, manufacturing, and quality
- Support the development of project design documents, including
P&ID's, wiring diagrams, and control panel layouts.
- Support project implementation, commissioning, and startup
activities as SME.
- Manage and oversee project contract work. Review and approve
contractor bids, RFI's, submittals and change requests. Inspect or
direct the inspection of work to ensure conformance to design
drawings, specifications, schedules, and safety regulations. Ensure
contractors receive site orientation and training and that all
state/local code requirements and building permit, inspection and
project close-out processes are followed.
- Support the development and maintenance of a prioritized
site-wide controls system capital plan to replace or improve the
existing site infrastructure and control / instrumentation /
- Responsible for integration and interface of electrical &
control systems infrastructure assets (chillers, AHU's, pumps,
boilers, etc.) Responsible for ensuring that designs are robust and
allow for appropriate maintenance while limiting any downtime.
- Responsible for systems administration, ownership, design and
upgrades of site wide power monitoring and reporting system.
Rockwell Automation Energy Metrix front-end with associated power
- Works closely with Radiation Protection, Environmental Health
and Safety, Engineering, Manufacturing, and Quality Staff to
realize organizational and safety objectives.
- Achieve high customer satisfaction through effective
communication of both technical and non-technical topics with all
levels of the organization both verbally and in writing. Exhibit
project and technical leadership and effective decision-making
throughout each project and consistently deliver projects that meet
all stakeholder requirements and are fully commissioned, qualified
and ready for start-up/occupancy.
- Provide support in the development, review and maintenance of
operational SOPs and predictive/preventive maintenance job
- Actively promote safety rules and awareness. Demonstrate good
safety practices at all times including the appropriate use of
protective equipment. Report and take initiative to correct safety
and environmental hazards.
- Actively demonstrate the values of Accountability, Quality,
Efficiency, Customer Service, Collaboration and Safety.Typical
Minimum Skills and Experience and Education
- A Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related
- Minimum of 7 years' experience with Building Automation
Systems, including commissioning, documentation, validation,
maintenance, change control, and performance benchmarking of
facility and manufacturing systems. Experience in a pharmaceutical
/ life sciences environment preferred.
- Proficiency in the programming and troubleshooting of Building
Automation Systems and instrumentation/electronic systems.
Significant Johnson Controls experience required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computerized maintenance management
systems (CMMS). Maximo experience a plus.
- Excellent leadership, organizational and time management
- Strong oral & written communication skills; ability to develop
technical presentation materials.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of MS Office, BAS/BMS and PLC
based systems required.
- Ability to lift forty (40) pounds on a regular basis, and
ability to work at heights and in mechanical spaces.Other
- This individual should be a self-starter with strong
leadership, interpersonal, organizational and technical skills,
with the capability to work both independently and in a team
environment. Strong analytical and communications skills are
critical. Thorough understanding of HVAC & control systems and
their applications. Working knowledge of cGMPs; validation
principles, clean room design, operation, and certification; and
- Provide BAS support off-hours and on weekends as required to
support 7x24 manufacturing site.
Keywords: Randstad, Billerica , Building Automation Engineer, Engineering , Billerica, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!