Posted on: February 24, 2021
This individual is the technical expert within the Cyclotron
department with responsibility for machine performance, capital
improvements and complex troubleshooting of Cyclotrons. The
individual is the subject matter expert for multiple disciplines
inclusive of RF power chain, and at least two additional
disciplines associated with vacuum, automation, electrical,
mechanical or utilities systems. Key Responsibilities/Essential
- Actively promotes safety rules and awareness. Demonstrates good
safety practices at all times including the appropriate use of
protective equipment. Reports and takes initiative to correct
safety & environmental hazards.
- Monitors and supports dose management through application of
- Facilitates the design and modification of custom equipment
that will improve machine performance.
- Leads capital equipment installations and engineering projects
associated with cyclotron infrastructure.
- Cross functionally supports the business development group in
exploring new cyclotron applications and in radioisotope process
- Supports validation and/or commissioning of Cyclotron
Production Department equipment.
- Leads development team or technical staff within the cyclotron
department as business needs require.
- Leads non-routine repairs and troubleshooting of cyclotron
systems inclusive of RF systems, RF amplification chains, high
voltage and current power supplies, injection lines, beam line,
targetry and target equipment.
- Participates in routine repairs and operations of cyclotrons as
- Maintains existing cyclotron and infrastructure including
targets, chillers, DI water, radioisotope delivery systems and
chemistry processing equipment and controls.
- Provides nights and weekend technical support to operations
staff to support 24x7 manufacturing schedule.
- Trains control room staff in cyclotron operations.
- Assists technicians and improve group understanding of
cyclotron operation and processes by developing and/or enhancing
department SOP's and training guides.
- Serves as technical resource in the hiring, training,
performance monitoring and development of maintenance, operations
and support staff.
- Tracks operations performance through data monitoring with
focus on deviations from routine in both operator interaction and
- Develops, tracks and maintains performance metrics specific to
cyclotron manufacturing and maintenance.
- Documents operation and performance trending of cyclotron
support equipment (e.g. cooling systems, vacuum systems, air
- Improves cyclotron output performance and operating efficiency
by developing and analyzing yield metrics, interacts with chemistry
team to optimize production efficiency. *In the case of absence the
reports to Manager above or a peer incumbent will function as a
backup for this position. Basic Qualifications
- MS Degree in Applied Science with a minimum of 10 years
hands-on experience with accelerators or other related high energy
physics background, equivalent military education and/or
national/university lab experience may be considered in lieu of
- A combination of education, training, and experience may be
considered in lieu of above stated qualification.Other Requirements
- Knowledge of RF systems, high power vacuum tube electronics and
associated test equipment required.
- Knowledge of particle physics and nuclear interactions
- Prior experience working in adverse environments (radiation and
high power electrical systems) required.
- High level knowledge and experience with mechanical, electrical
and/or control systems.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical, electrical and
architectural design drawings required.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels and across
diverse cultures, internal and external.
- Must be able to multitask in a fast pace, hands on production
- Materials knowledge a plus.
- Knowledge of vacuum systems, vacuum pumps and leak checking a
- Hands-on experience with PLC (Programmable Logic Controllers)
and HMI (Human Machine Interface systems) a plus.
Keywords: Randstad, Billerica , Senior Engineer, Engineering , Billerica, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!